This is one of my favorite springtime recipes. It’s perfect for picnics and potlucks! I love the broccoli pesto and have made it with pasta as well as with quinoa.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup of water
- 15 ounce can of chickpeas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 teaspoon
1. Add the water and broccoli to a large pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, just enough to take the raw edge off. Broccoli should be bright green.
2. Remove two cups of broccoli and set aside for the pesto. Add one teaspoon of olive oil and chickpeas to the pan. Cook for five minutes
3. To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of broccoli, garlic, 1/4 olive oil, cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and sea salt in a food processor.
4. Mix together pesto and cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the rest of the broccoli and the chickpeas.
Optional toppings: vegan feta cheese, roasted red peppers, avocado, basil or anything else you wish!