I’m happy to be hosting The Lusty Vegan blog tour today! The Lusty Vegan is a project I’ve been close to, as I do freelance work for the book’s publisher Vegan Heritage Press, and I designed the cover! I enjoy working on projects like this because it combines my love of vegan cooking with my background in design.
The Lusty Vegan is part cookbook, part lifestyle book for vegans and those who love them. It was written by Ayindé Howell and Zoë Eisenberg, both of iEatGrass.com fame. Ayinde and Zoe are both longtime vegans, but neither has ever dated another vegan. After comparing notes, they realized the need for a manifesto to help vegans and omnivores navigate their cross-cuisine love life. The book shares tips—both culinary and romantic—for vegans who want to satisfy the appetites of their omnivorous counterpart, and for non-vegans who want to impress their plant-based partners.
Dennis and I went vegan together many years ago, so things have been pretty easy for me, but I remember my vegetarian days when I dated meat-eaters, and this book would have really come in handy back then. That doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the book at all though, as Ayindé’s recipes are quite incredible.
I have a copy of The Lusty Vegan for one lucky reader. Follow the instructions at the end of the post to enter. Be sure to also check out my interview with Ayindé Howell and Zoë Eisenberg on Chic Vegan.
Breakfast Andouille Sausage with Biscuits
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Serves 2 to 4
You can prep the sausage a day or two in advance, and the biscuits are pretty quick as well. They can also be made in advance and frozen, then defrosted when you need them.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup Lightlife Gimme Lean vegan sausage
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gumbo filé powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Grapeseed or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup julienned green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned red onion
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- Vegan butter
- Raspberry jam (or you favorite flavor)
- Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a fork, mix in the cold butter until it becomes the size of small peas. Slowly add the milk, gradually stirring until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll the dough out to a 1-inch thickness. Cut the biscuits with a large cookie cutter or the top of a juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all the dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place the biscuits onto a lightly floured baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- Sausage: In a large bowl, break up the sausage. Add the Cajun seasoning, paprika, minced garlic, black pepper salt, file powder, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Mix well. Take 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture and form into a 1/2 inch thick patty. Repeat until all patties are formed. It should make 4 patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup oil until hot and shimmering. Fry the patties for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer the patties to paper towels to cool. Reserve the oil in the skillet.
- Reheat the skillet with the oil from the sausage over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and sauté until caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Use a spatula to push the onions and peppers into four piles large enough to cover the sausage patties and sprinkle the top of each veggie pile with 2 tablespoons of cheese, allowing it to melt. Using a spatula, place the vegetables and melted cheese on top of each sausage patty. Serve with hot biscuits topped with butter and jam, if using, on the side.
From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.
Follow the instructions below to for a chance to win a copy of The Lusty Vegan. US residents only, please. Contest ends a midnight on October 29th. Good luck!