A few years ago, I was sent some soy feta samples to try, and I quickly became addicted. I made greek-style salads for lunch for weeks on end. When I ran out, I was able to find the vegan cheese at both my local Whole Foods and Fairway Market, but either both stores discontinued it or the manufacturer started making it. Earlier this year I decided to try to make my own feta using tofu. The end result wasn’t a 100% match for feta, but it had a nice taste and worked well with my favorite salad. My Greek-Style Pizza with Tofu Feta recipe is actually based on this salad, and is pretty much the same dish in pizza form.
Greek-Inspired Salad with Tofu Feta and Tahini Dressing
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon mellow white miso
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Salad
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded (about 1 large head or two small heads)
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 12-14 ounce can or jar artichoke hearts, quartered (not the oil packed kind)
- 4 or 5 pepperoncini peppers, sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
For the Tofu Feta:
- Crumble the tofu into large chunks and place in a shallow bowl or baking dish.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture over the tofu. Toss gently to combine.
- Place the dish of tofu in the fridge for several hours or overnight. The longer it sits, the better the flavor.
For the Tahini Dressing:
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to use. Sauce will thicken after sitting for a while. Add water when ready to use, if necessary.
Assemble the Salad
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- Top the salad with the tahini dressing, and toss to coat. Add the tofu feta.
- Divide salad into 4 bowls and enjoy!